Vegan Mongolian Beef with Broccoli
Servings 2 -3
For the Sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. coconut or organic brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp. chilled water
1 tsp. cornstarch
For the Stir-Fry
1-8 oz. package seitan strips
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
2-3 dried chili peppers halved (optional)
2 scallions cut into 1 inch pieces
Cooked rice or rice noodles
- Make the sauce by stirring soy sauce, sugar and 1/4 cup of water or broth together in a small bowl. Stir cornstarch and chilled water together in a small cup. Set aside.
- Drain the seitan and discard liquid. Place cornstarch into a medium bowl and add seitan strips. Toss to coat.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add seitan in as even a layer as possible. Cook until strips are browned and crisp on bottoms, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook 4-5 minutes more, until strips are crispy on opposite sides. Remove seitan from skillet and transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Lower heat to medium. Add garlic, ginger and dried chilies, if using, to skillet. Sauté 2 minutes, until very fragrant and chilies begin to darken a bit. Return seitan to skillet with sauce, cornstarch mixture and scallions. Flip a few times to coat, and cook just until sauce becomes very thick, about 2 minutes.
- Divide noodles or rice onto plates and top with seitan. Serve immediately.